I can honestly say the best thing I’ve ever done for myself is not give a damn about anyone’s opinions or misconceptions about me.
Traits of a Best Friend
1. They believe in you even when you’ve stopped believing in yourself
2. They respect your boundaries, and don’t try to manipulate or control you
3. They’re faithful and loyal – and are always there to listen when you truly need them
4. They put up with your annoying little quirks and habits because they understand you’re not perfect yet
5. They’re not envious or jealous when you succeed at something. They’re on your side and want the best for you
6. They allow you to be you, to have your own viewpoints, and to follow your own interests - as they like you being unique
7. They are generous, large hearted, and quick to forgive. Also, they don’t bear grudges, and they think the best of you.
Be kind to yourself. Stop telling yourself that whatever you are struggling with “should” be easy. If something is hard for you, it is hard for you. There are probably Reasons, though those may just be how you are wired. Acknowledge these things. When you finish something hard, be proud! Celebrate a little.
And really, just stop saying “should” to yourself about your thoughts and feelings in any context. You feel how you feel. The things in your head are the things in your head. You can’t change either directly through sheer force of will. You can only change what you do. Stop beating yourself up for who and what you are right now–it isn’t productive. Focus on moving forward.
People will believe that aliens, Nessie, and Big Foot are real…
but, talk about racism/oppression and they need all the facts.